- Find the leaders on the team you lead that have no title.
- Keep a cool head even in times when the world is falling apart. ("Contagious Leaders respond reasonably to even unreasonable situations" M. Wofford, Contagious Quotations)
- Call employees “those that work WITH you”, instead of those that work FOR you.
- Adhere to the principle that “communication is not what was said, but what was received.
- Maintain clarity around the fact that attitudes are not taught or changed without the owner’s consent. Criticize someone's attitude at your own risk.
- Free up for new opportunities those who are unable to perform at the established standard.
- Exhibit leadership traits as a part of who you are, not what your title says. Recognize that managers always have a title, leaders often do not.
- Observe what people do for others to learn what they would like to have done for them. This becomes very important when choosing recognition tactics.
- Spend most of your time with those who are performing the way you have asked them to.
- Encourage all those you lead to have or get a LIFE! Be sure to have one yourself. All work and no play, makes a leader a dull person.
Best of success on becoming a contagious leader!